Monday, June 15, 2009

#12 What we have here is a failure to communicate

So I’m continuing on…in the hopes of become America’s Next Top Model! Just kidding! I started with that and couldn’t resist. I’m continuing on with my quest to watch a ton of really popular movies that I’ve never seen before. I started with “The Godfather,” as you know, and moved on to “Cool Hand Luke.” I had heard A LOT of people say this was there favorite movie and it made some of the best movie of all times lists, so I put it on the Netflix queue. Turns out, it’s about a guy, named Luke, that goes to prison for vandalizing city property. They call him cool hand Luke because of the way he bluffs when playing poker. It was a little boring but mildly entertaining. Movies were definitely different in 1967 than today.

I did learn that Kelly’s best friend Keeling loved the movie and I can see why. Keeling was always making bets about stupid stuff he could do. (I.e. drinking a gallon of milk under a minute, getting kicked in the nuts a million times, etc.) In the movie, Luke makes a bet that he can eat 50 boiled eggs in under an hour. Next movie on the list: Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Side Note: The other night my husband was reading (the first book he has read since he was required to in college) and came across the abbreviation e.g. followed with a list of examples. He leaned over in bed and asked me if I knew what e.g. stood for. We both knew that it meant examples were to be followed but neither of us knew what i.e. or e.g. was abbreviated for. Out of curiosity and in honor of my life list, I decided to look both up to become more knowledgeable and clear the air. Here is what I found:

The abbreviation i.e. stands for the Latin id est, which means "that is." It is followed by an explanation.

The abbreviation e.g. stands for the Latin exempli gratia, (meaning "for example").

After finding this I didn’t feel so dumb for not knowing. It’s all Latin to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment